Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful


"She not only saw the light at the end of the tunnel, she became that light for others."  -excerpt from Gabi's journal, but quite appropriate for all the children at the Tutova pediatric recovery clinic.

I am so thankful for the children of Tutova and the opportunity to have met them.  Their courage, laughter and smiles have touched my heart and taken up permament residence there.  I am hoping to return someday soon.  Until then I will support them in any way I can.  One of the biggest needs its bottle liners.  With 21 chldren at the clinic they go through approximately 120 a day and they do not sell them in Europe.  Clothing, shoes, socks, jackets, hats and toys are also always needed.  I am particularly looking for a mobile - they only had three that we saw and sometimes there are more than three babies stuck in there rooms all day because they are in isolation.  I will be putting together a package to send over.

Another large need is the role I helpful fulfill for the last couple of weeks - engage the kids with play time, games, hugs, basically show them the love they’re missing from their parents being absent.  Global Volunteers has trips just about every three weeks all year long.  If you are able and inclined, please check out their website:  http://www.globalvolunteers.org/. In the last couple of years they have seen a significant decrease in the number of volunteers, groups used to be around 15-20 (which allowed for one on one interaction with the children) and now are around 6-7, sometimes only 1 or 2 people. 

Please contact me with questions if you are interested in helping:  sabrina_shaner@hotmail.com 

Happy Thanksgiving!

The dedicated staff

No comments:

Post a Comment