Friday, November 5, 2010

Details

Why am I going to Romania?  Why not.  The world is big and there are a lot of interesting things in it.  I encountered Romania a number of times while getting my masters in education and have had an interest in visiting ever since.

For the first 2 weeks of my trip I will be working with an organization called Global Volunteers.  They are a non profit organization from the US that puts together volunteer trips all over the world.  They have a really great philosophy:  wage peace through understanding; understanding through service.  They only go into communities where they have been invited to help and pair volunteers up with local people to work together.  The community leaders are directing all volunteers and projects, so it isn't intrusive.  Anyone from anywhere can sign up to go on one of their trips, so you not only see the culture where you are volunteering, but also the culture of the other volunteers.  I already received an email from one of my teammates who is from Australia!

The work projects for vary per country.   In Romania, I will be working at a pediatric recover clinic that helps to nurse severely underweight babies back to health.   The clinic is near Barlad, about 5 hours north of Bucharest.  Sadly some of these children become orphans because their family never returns to pick them up.  The clinic staff are great, but there just aren't enough hands to do all the work.  This is where the Global volunteers come in.  We will help fill in the gaps.  Giving them the stimulation, love, and nurturing that they miss in this institutional setting.  I am really exited about this opportunity to see Romania from a unique perspective.

I will have some free time on the weekends and a couple of extra days at the end of the trip.  I hope to spend some of this time in Transylvania and visiting the Painted Monasteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment